CARE International is one of the World’s leading humanitarian and development organizations. Founded in 1945, CARE has been fighting global poverty and defending the dignity of people around the world, working in over 90 countries around the globe.
CARE started operations in Ghana in 1994 and have for the past 23 years, has partnered government agencies, multinational and Civil Society organizations to undertake interventions in the areas of education, food and nutrition security, financial inclusion, women’s empowerment, governance, among others.
CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Communication & Media Relations Coordinator for Northern Ghana Governance Activity Project (NGGA) CARE International in Ghana (CARE-Ghana) is an international NGO Its mission is to serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world As a civil society institution, we target poverty reduction among the deprived segments of society in collaboration with like-minded CSOs, local and national institutions as well as individuals actively engaged in poverty reduction and social inclusion in Ghana Our prime targets are women, children and youth In Ghana, CARE seeks to facilitate the creation of a sustainable culture of responsive development, social equity and improved dignity and integrity in the society, through Food and Nutrition Security and Social and Economic Empowerment interventions
The USAID-funded Northern Ghana Governance Activity (NGGA) is five-year Cooperative Agreement designed to improve responsive governance in agriculture in the Northern, Upper East and Upper West regions of Ghana CARE International in Ghana leads the consortium in collaboration with SEND Ghana, Action Aid Ghana and the West African Network for Peace-building (WANEP)
The Communication and Media Relations Coordinator will lead the redesign and delivery of communications and outreach strategy The person in this position will produce and distribute/disseminate tailored content targeting the Northern Ghana Governance Activity’s stakeholders including MMDAs, CSOs and citizens S/he will also craft key messages and develop partnerships with community radio stations and other local media In addition, the Communications and Media relations Coordinator will provide required communication inputs to project reporting, manage and maintain the project’s communication portal/platform Briefly, the position is intended to coordinate and lead the implementation of the project’s communication strategy ensuring that its vision and objectives are consistent with the activities and overall communication objective of the CARE led NGGA project
The position is based in Tamale but will require extensive travel to operational districts in the three northern regions of Ghana to support project events/activities
This job opportunity is made possible by the American people through USAID
- Update and implement Communication Strategy for NGGA outlining what needs to be communicated (messages) and with whom (targets) The Communication Strategy should be informed by CARE’s Accountability requirements
- Appropriately package and disseminate communications materials that convey the scope and breadth of the work of NGGA with partners and its impact for a variety of audiences identified in the communication strategy
- Facilitate development communication with stakeholders and partners by employing communication mechanisms to foster dialogue, share information to empower communities and encourage attitudinal and behavioral changes
- Create platforms for media to engage with duty bearers on follow up issues the project has raised with MMDAs
- Explore appropriate communication channels and mechanisms to disseminate IEC materials at national, regional, district and community levels
- Work with the Coordinators of the project to produce and disseminate NGGA learning materials, brochures, leaflets and other materials for wider reach and target groups using appropriate channels and mechanisms
- Support the M&E Specialist and KML to manage and update project MIS
- Facilitate effective communication and sharing of information using innovative IT solutions
- Leverage on media channels for efficient and effective dissemination of agricultural policies and opportunities
- Ensure proper branding and marking in compliance with USAID’s branding and marking policy
- Support colleagues, consortium members and strategic partners in communicating information about the project’s work through different channels and networks
- Support media capacity building efforts by strategic partners to ensure media plays a lead role in agricultural sector governance issues
- Facilitate the development of social media platforms and develop content for regular update and maintenance
- Lead public outreach and content development of press releases, journalistic articles, publish in approved news portals including online sites and television among others
Required Skills or Experience
- A minimum qualification of Master’s degree with at least 3years in Social Sciences, Natural Resources, Development Communications or related field
Skills and Experience
- At least 3-5 years post qualification experience in development education or communication
- Experience in organizational communication management, learning and creating a culture of knowledge management and communication, knowledge of the agricultural and natural resources sector is an added advantage
- Experience working with local government authorities, USAID, NGOs and communities
- Extensive experience working in organizational communication and public relations
- Proven experience with press outreach and media relations
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills,
- Appreciable knowledge of IT and its uses
- Strong experience and knowledge of approaches to M&E and gender-sensitive approaches
- Strong practical experience with using data to generate change stories to educate and market the achievements of the project through newsletters, success stories, etc
- Experience in building capacity of project teams on media and communication standards and practices
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to gender and diversity
- Strategic and conceptual thinking ability
- Experience in facilitating linkages, relationship building and networking
- Ability to work with multiple teams and influence senior colleagues
- Ability to use social media such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, etc handles professionally
- Commitment to achieving results, meeting deadline, proactive and self-motivated
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skill
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
- Closing date for submission of applications is Tuesday 20th November, 2018. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY.
More from this site